The 2012 Arikara Essay Contest is a writing competition for Arikara high school students currently enrolled in the White Shield School. The contest invites students to explore their culture, history, and heritage.
The Arikara Essay Contest:
◊ Complements existing curricula and other scholastic activities
◊ Strengthens students writing and research skills
◊ Assists to increase students knowledge of Arikara history; thereby strengthening their own personal tribal identity
◊ Serves as preparation for undergraduate college level research and writing
◊ Opportunity to work with an Arikara who has professional level research experience
The 2012 Arikara Essay Contest is open to Arikara high school students currently enrolled in grades 9 through 12 at White Shield School.
Write an essay on any aspect of Arikara history and/or culture.
Sources of Information:
Research is required. Essays must contain a bibliography or reference page citing all sources used in your research. In preparation for writing, students should draw from research materials including: historical material (books, articles, etc.), interviews, oral traditions, and other source materials.
1st Place $150
2nd Place $75
Other Contest Rules:
• Deadline for entries is November 1, 2012
• Entries must contain a minimum of 1,500 words.
• The essay must be typed, double-spaced, and include a bibliography or reference page.
• Judging will take place in November. The winners will be announced by November 15, 2012. The prize money is designed as a reward for academic excellence and commitment to understanding and preserving Arikara history and culture.
• Early drafts can be sent via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for feedback. The final essay can be sent via email or regular mail to the address below.
KuuNUx TeeRIt Kroupa serves as coordinator of the Essay Contest.
For questions or more information, please contact:
KuuNUx TeeRIt Kroupa
PO Box 6506
Bloomington, IN 47407
Arikara Essay Contest